Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Patrick’s Gate



One spring, I was working in my kitchen, and I happened to look out the window towards the lean-to where the sheep and goats were. They were grazing in the back fields, but could come to the lean-to for shelter and water. When I looked out, I saw the strangest sight. Our two horned ram, Patrick, had a ten foot gate hooked on his horn and he was flailing it around, smashing it against the Russian olive shrub outside their pen, trying to get it off his head. I ran out as fast as I could, and when he saw me coming, he held still. He sensed that I was there to help him, and knew standing still would be the best thing to do. I had to twist the gate which was vertical at that time, to be horizontal so I could slide it off of his horn. He must have been trying to rub between his horn and his face, which is how he ended up getting it caught on his horn and then picked it off of its rods that it sits on. What a sight to remember!

No comments: